Wednesday 4 November 2015

Trip From The Past: Flying Ryanair from Edinhoven to London Stansted

Welcome to my past trip report with Ryanair! 


*Photos are credited to the respective photographers from Airliners.net and Jetphotos.net unless stated.

How did this trip come about? 

This trip happened on the same trip as my Easyjet flight from London Stansted to Amsterdam, you can check out the trip report over here. My sister did the booking for this trip as well and at that time she was checking which was the best way to get from my cousin's place back to London and the cheapest option was from Eindhoven to London Stansted. I was delighted that I would be adding 2 new airports and a new airline to my flight logbook. So when she suggested this itinerary, I couldn't say no.

These photos were taken at Madrid airport. 


History of Ryanair

This airline is an Irish Low-Cost Carrier based in Dublin, Ireland and its main bases are London Stansted and Dublin. Currently, the airline has a fleet of over 300 Boeing 737-800s and a single Boeing 737-700 which is used for back up and crew training purposes. Thanks to the deregulation of the European aviation industry in 1997, this airline was able to introduce the low-cost business model and successfully implemented it and now its one of the biggest Low-Cost Carriers in the world. Founded in 1985 by Christopher Ryan, Liam Lonergan, and Tony Ryan, this airline started off with a 15-seater Embraer Bandeirante turboprop aircraft and then the ATR-42 was brought in. This airline also operated the BAC 1-11 and the Boeing 737-200 before settling for the Boeing 737-800s which becomes the airline's main type. The airline has also ordered 200 Boeing 737 MAX 8s with 100 firmed and the other half on options in September 2014. 

This is the historic fleet of Ryanair 

Ryanair's EMB-110 Bandeirante aircraft


This is Hawker Siddeley HS 748, now known as Avro 748


This is BAC 1-11 in Ryanair's livery


One of the 3 leased ATR-42-300 aircraft operated for Ryanair.


These Boeing 737-200s display some of the airline's special liveries, pretty aren't they? 

Which one is your favourite? Personally, the Jaguar livery is my favourite among these great liveries. 






The old livery of Ryanair on this Boeing 737-200



Current livery of Ryanair on this Boeing 737-200


Current fleet

My photo of Ryanair's Boeing 737-800 at Eindhoven Airport



Ryanair's sole Boeing 737-700 



Some special liveries of Ryanair on the current fleet, Boeing 737-800



Current flight route map of RyanAir (Photo is credited to airline route maps)


History of Eindhoven Airport

Eindhoven Airport was founded in 1932 as a grass strap called Welschap Airfield. This airfield was acquired by use for the Air Force and was used for the World War. After the war, the airfield was returned to Royal Netherlands Air Force in 1952. In 1984, a civilian airport terminal was built and it continued to grow to become the 2nd biggest passenger airport in the Netherlands. 

Interior of the airport 

Check-in counters for Ryanair 


The Departure Hall (Land Side)



There is an observation deck at this terminal but according to Sotos, the angled window makes photography difficult. During 2005, it was opened air and taking photos back then was a paradise for plane spotters. 


Flight route: EIN-STN

Miles: 223



At the airport 

The visit to my cousin was an enjoyable one but time went past too quickly and our cousin sends us off to the airport, her place was closer to Eindhoven than Amsterdam. Once there we did our check-in and the seat assignment was free for all just like my Easyjet experience. 


My boarding pass 


While my mum and sister went shopping, I headed to the observation deck for some plane spotting session before heading towards the airside and met them at the gate. 

My ride: EI-DAL (Ryanair's Boeing 737-800)

That time I flew with this aircraft, it didn't have the winglets installed. 




This aircraft with the winglets installed. 



Date of departure: 26th June 2005
Airline: Ryanair
Flight: FR9274
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800 (without winglets - old livery)
Registration: EI-DAL
Delivered on 22nd April 2003
Gate: 5 
Configuration: Y 189
Engines: 2 X CFM 56-7B26
Line number: 1311
Departure time: 1900
Flight duration: 50 mins 
Route: EIN-STN
Seat: Window seat (in front of the wing) 

I can't remember when I boarded the aircraft but I do know I got myself a row of 3 at the front of the aircraft. The crew was welcoming and friendly and the flight departed on time and landed early at London Stansted Airport. Compare the seats with Easyjet's, I find the latter slightly more comfortable. 

Here are some photos of the cabin

Notice the safety card posted on every back of the seat? This is one of the few airlines who does this. Bad idea if there is an emergency. The safety regulators should not allow this in the first place, I feel. 



The cabin interior certainly caught my attention, with the safety card on every back of the seat being the obvious one. I heard lots of complaints about this airline at that time about how bad the service is but I didn't get any of that on this flight, in fact, the service was as good as Easyjet, thinking about it now, I enjoyed both flights and would not hesitate to fly with this airline again. 

We arrived at London Stansted airport early and parked at a remote parking lot. From there we took the train back to Liverpool Street Station by Stansted Express. You can also take the train from Tottenham Hale Station and Stradford. Here is the link to the train's website.

Here are some photos of the airport


ATC Tower 



An overview of the airport 




Interior photos of the terminal 








My rating: 

Airline's website: 6/10
On ground crew: 6/10
Eindhoven Airport Experience: 7/10
In-flight service: 7/10
Seat comfort: 6/10
Cabin interior: 8/10
Cleanliness: 10/10
Punctuality: 10/10
Aircraft condition: 10/10
Overall rating: 70/90

Conclusion

My first experience with Ryanair ended up a pleasant one, in fact, I find both Ryanair and Easyjet more pleasant than I expected. This flight happened 10 years ago, things may change now but as far as I am concerned, its a safe airline to fly on and like other Low-Cost Carriers, you have to check the hidden costs and terms of conditions to ensure everything goes smoothly. Flights delays and cancellation may take place and to play safe, get yourself a travel insurance. Now this airline is dominating a various number of markets, operating with mostly Boeing 737-800s and the Boeing 737 Max 8 to come, the future of this airline looks bright. 

You can check out my Easyjet Trip Report over here.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Charles 

No comments:

Post a Comment