I am pleased to introduce a new parter: Airmodels.net

728x90 - Popular Military Aircraft

Friday 12 July 2024

Airport Lounge Review: Singapore Changi Airport SilverKris Lounge Terminal 3

 Welcome to my SKL Terminal 3 Lounge Review!  


This escalator gets you directly to the Silverkris Lounges. For this review, I will be focusing on the business class lounge. 


This visit took place on the 9th July 2024. 

Introduction 

This is my first time visiting Singapore Airlines' lounge and I was pleased to visit this upgraded lounge which replaced the old ones which started it's existence in 2008. Singapore Airlines opened this brand new SilverKris Business Class Lounge at Terminal 3 in November 2021. This visit was made possible as I purchased a business class one-way ticket to Mumbai to sample the airline's business class product and also to visit the lounge. So far my best airport lounge visit has to be LATAM's VIP lounge at Santiago so is this lounge better? Do read on to find out. 

The Sony Crystal LED displays SQ's Batik Motif, beautiful isn't it? This art piece was created by B. Jane Cowie, featuring an array of flowers and leaves, matches with the iconic SIA Blue background.


The SilverKris Lounge consists of 3 lounges, the TPR (The Private Room), First Class and Business Class lounges.

About the SilverKris Lounges 

These lounges have been upgraded by Singapore Airlines which spent around S$50 million to enhance the comfort and convenience of every premium passengers, encouraging them to keep flying with this airline and as you know competition is quite strong with a lot of airlines doing similar upgrade to both the in-flight and on-ground products. For my review, I will focus on the SilverKris Busines Class Lounge. So let's get started. 

This is how you can get there. (Photo: Singapore Airlines)




The First Class and Business Class lounges spotted in this photo below. 


Welcome to SilverKris Business Class Lounge! 

 


About this lounge 

This lounge is the biggest among all the other SilverKris lounges around the world and according to the owner, the lounge has a better floor space than both the First Class and The Private Room lounges combined. With such large space (2,925 sq m) with a maximum capacity of 575 travellers, there are different zones to suit the different types of customers and with large dining halls, there are plenty of food and beverages for hungry customers and also relaxing living room, quiet zone and even sleeping zone suitable for long transit customers. There are different types of seats available at different sections which includes productivity pods for work, bar to enjoy drinks with friends, familes and possibly meet new acquaintances, meeting room and main seating areas to just chill out and enjoy the food or beverages while waiting for their flights. There are also showers to refresh him/herself, ideal for those with long layover. Since this is my first time here, I decided to use the shower facility, more information on that in my later part of my review. 

This Lounge is open 24 hours daily. 

This lounge can be accessed by PPS Club members flying in any SIA cabin class, Business Class passengers on either SIA or Star Alliance flight. For First Class passenger + 1 guest on either SIA and Star Alliance flight are also allow in this lounge. 

Do note that for Krisflyer Gold and Star Alliance Gold members flying on Economy and Premium Economy Class cannot access to this lounge, instead they can use the lounge at the KrisFlyer Gold Lounges available in Terminal 2 and 3. 

No time restriction for travellers provided you have a valid boarding pass. You can also visit the other lounge at Terminal 2 if you have the time. Do note: the airport staff scancodes your boarding pass before allowing you to enter. 

Facilities (Silverkris Business Class Lounge)

Customer Service Desk 
- Dining Hall (Food and Beverages)
- Showers 
- Sleeping area 
- Bar 
- Charging ports (Universal and USB-A ports) 
-Productivity pods 
- Meeting room 
- KrisShop pop-up display 
- Sound-proof playroom for kids
- Seating area (High and Low chairs and sofa chairs) 

First look of the lounge and to your left, there is a customer service desk which offers service regards to your upcoming flights such as change of seat selection, reissue of boarding passes and change of flight? That depends on your ticket condition. 


Welcome to? Something seems to be missing. This is the KrisShop pop-up display. 


You can enjoy the view of the tarmac when sitting at the high tables. 


At that time, the lounge was quite crowded. 


Fortunately, plenty of food for the travellers. I hope the management of Copa Airlines Lounge at Panama City is reading this. 


There are all sorts of food at this lounge and I was impressed. 


Coffee maker machine


There were empty tables suitable for big groups. 


Over the counter, they serve some nice local dishes such as Laksa. 


The buffet style lounge is definitely popular among the travellers. 


Fortunately I didn’t have to queue up long for my laksa.



Drinks and hot meals continue to be replenished.


Kudos to the cleaners for keeping the lounge clean. 


I settle down to enjoy my meal. 



After that, I went to the other side of the lounge.  


There are tables which allow you to charge your devices. However there are no USB-C charging ports. 


The young ones get to enjoy watching cartoons in this playroom. 

Wifi is available and the connection was good enough for normal surfing and texting. 


My concern is it can get quite crowded at certain times of the day like this late hour, finding a place to sit by yourself may take a bit of time. 


A good selection of alcoholic drinks is available. Please do not over consume otherwise you might not be allow to board your flight. 

There is limited operating hours for bartender and barista, so you might want to take note when ordering your drinks. 

This bar (below) becomes a barista station which served hot beverages from 0600 to 1000 hrs. While in the evening, the bartender service operates from 1730 to 0100. So if you come after these hours, you have to settle for the beverages at the self service counters. 


At this moment, I walked to the other end of the lounge. 


Beverages and Food selection are the same. 


This section allows more natural light shining into this lounge during the day time. 


Food section for the passengers sitting at this part of the lounge. 


Euro 2024 games were being played at that time. 


I like this part of the lounge better for the open air enviroment. 


I doubt anyone would sit around here (low chairs) unless the seats elsewhere are fully occupied. 


This is a mini productivity pods suitable for doing work, but I don't find it private especially if you have someone sitting across you. Each pod comes with a reading light, wireless charging pad, universal power outlet and a couple of USB-A ports. 


Seating area 


Another view of this section of the lounge. 


Now let's explore our food options. 


There are both Asian and Western options. 


Plenty of choices and for this, I have to give full marks for it. 


The local brand TWG produces good quality tea. 


Muffins anyone? 


Small light snacks if you dont want anything heavy. 


The bread section (covered) also comes with condiments of your choice. 


The cold snacks are located over here. 


3 different types of ice-cream and I tried 2 flavours, the mango and the Taro flavour. The latter is absolutely delicious. 


This was where I had my dinner. (The dining table section)


The mango and taro ice cream 


My favourite gingle ale drink. 


I tried the laksa, it was not bad. 


As I didn't have dinner, I ate quite a bit which includes this chinese mixed rice with different meats. 


Later on, I enjoyed a can of beer. 


For breakfast, I had my favourite barbaque pork bun before heading over to Terminal Silverkris Lounge. 


After dinner, I decided to try out the shower. 

You need to book in order to use the shower and fortunately I waited around 20 minutes for my turn. 

You will receive this beeper and once it sounds, enjoy the shower! 


Here is the shower room! 



It was not as big as I thought but still good enough to enjoy a warm nice shower. 



I have no idea what brand it is but it was ok. 



This is available (below) for each passenger. 


After shower, I decided to have a cup of TWG tea before resting.


At about 11 plus, there were still a lot of travellers. 


To get to the sleeping area, once you enter the lounge, turn left and walk all the way in. It is located at the rear of the lounge. You will see the the signboard besides 2 doors and you need to wave at the sensor in order for the door to open. 

I was very fortunate to find a vacant slumberette. Although I didn't find it comfortable, I managed to grab some sleep. 


The sleeping area consists of 14 Rolf Benz slumberettes and they are available on a first-come-first-serve basis. There are also charging ports (not shown) available, 2 universal and 2 USB-A ports. 


There were frequent announcements of flights and that woke me up a few times and of course, some zZzZ noise could be heard. 


The aircon was quite cold in the early hours of the following day, so do get a blanket if you can. Pillow and blanket can be requested from the staff. 


There is a sleeping light in the section of your resting area. 


Eye shade is available along with a bottle of hand sanitizer. 


The next morning, I decided to leave earlier as I wanted to visit Terminal 2 SKL lounge and this is how this lounge looks during the quiet period. 


It is certainly a big difference between a crowded lounge and a quiet one. 



The beverages counter were filled up to prepare for the incoming passengers. 


Some passengers like myself stayed overnight at the lounge so that we didn't have to wake up early from our home to get to the airport. After giving the sleeping room a try, I didn't find it comfortable so the next time my flight departs early in the morning, I probably rest at home before coming over. 


One last quick look at the lounge before exiting. Thanks for the hospitality! (To the Silverkris Lounge staff)



With that, its time to head over to the Terminal 2 SilverKris Lounge! 

My ratings

Location: 5/5
Staff Service: 4/5
Lounge Interior: 4/5 
Selection of Food & Beverages: 5/5
WiFi Connection: 5/5
Shower: 4/5 
Resting area: 3/5 
Overall Rating: 30/35
Percentage: 86%

Conclusion

I am impressed with the lounge, from the entrance of the lounge to the inside, it is certainly one of the top lounges I have been to. What I like about the lounge is the amount of food available to the passengers even in crowded times, there are still enough to cater for all. The cleaning staff are around to clean up the table fast and while it can be crowded, there are enough tables and chairs for one to enjoy their meal or rest while waiting for their flights. The sleeping room comes in handy especially for whose with long transits or those wanting to stay overnight to catch the early morning flight to their destination. Of course there are flaws with the lounge and one of them is an issue with overcrowding, it can make the experience less enjoyable especially worrying about not able to get a table or seat, facilities such as showers and lack of resting area and the worst time of using the lounge is when SIA's flights are departing during the peak hours and that is when the lounge gets more crowded. Overall, this lounge gets my thumbs up but is it my favourite lounge? I do have a slight preference for the LATAM VIP lounge in Santiago, Chile. 

Thanks for reading!

For my trip report on SQ's A350-900 from Singapore to Mumbai, click here

For my SilverKris Lounge Terminal 2 review, click here.

Have a good one!

Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment