I am pleased to introduce a new parter: Airmodels.net

728x90 - Popular Military Aircraft

Wednesday 7 August 2024

My Akasa Air Flying Adventure: Flying the 737 MAX 8 From Mumbai to Bengaluru!

 Welcome to my 400th blog post, a trip report on Akasa Air! 



An Akasa Air Boeing 737-8 MAX (VT-YAS) had just completed push back departing for Kolkata (QP1129) at Mumbai Airport. 

7th of July 2024 marks Akasa's 2 years anniversary in the skies. Congratulations to the airline! 

Introduction 

When this airline first came out into the aviation world, I kept misreading it as Alaska Air, anyone else has this issue? This new kid of the block looked promising at that time and I was wondering whether will it be able survive especially with a new fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8. Today (July 2024), the airline has a massive fleet of twenty-three 737 MAX 8 with one 737 MAX-8200 in operation (197-seater, higher capacity aircraft). Fast growing? Yes, but is it the fastest growing airline in India, personally I don't think so, I think that still goes to Indigo with the airline taking delivery of the A320neo family almost every week. One of Akasa Air's issues that Boeing is not able to deliver the 737 MAX aircraft on time due to the issues with the quality control. 

Honestly speaking, I am still skeptical about flying on another one even though I had flown 5 times on this aircraft but due to the recent issues with the aircraft (dutchroll, aircraft diving to low attitude ..etc), but I decided to go ahead to do what I like to do, that is to fly on a new airline. There are some others that are wary about this aircraft but who can blame them? I hope Boeing get their act together and focus on improving the QC. We need at least 2 OEMS (Original Equipment Manufacturers), the more the merrier which means more competition and that results to better and more efficient aircraft for airlines and that might benefit us as the airlines might pass on the savings to us. Anyway for now, the main aircraft manufacturers are Airbus, Boeing, Comac and Embraer. 

Without further ado, let's begin this trip report! 

About Akasa Air 

Akasa Air is an Indian low-cost carrier, set up by SNV Aviation Private Limited. This airline's headqaurter is based in Mumbai, India and was founded by Vinay Dube and Aditya Ghosh, with Rakesh Jhunjhunwala holding a 46% stake in this airline. This airline was founded in December 2021 and started commercial service about 9 months later. Just before the official launch of this airline, 72 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft were ordered and that includes both the -8 and -8200 version. The first delivery of the 737 took place in June 2022 and since then, the airline gradually increased its fleet, however, the delays in delivery has slowed its growth but that doesn't stop the airline for placing a massive 3-digit aircraft order in 2024. The airline placed a 150 Boeing 737 MAX order for the MAX 8, MAX 8200 and also the MAX 10 series. When will the airline take delivery of the first MAX 10, it depends now on when Boeing can get this aircraft type certified in 2025. 

In total including the delivered aircraft, 226 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft are ordered; 72 aircraft in 2021, 4 top-up order in June 2023 and the recent order in January this year for 150 aircraft. 

The airline's network in 2024 (Photo: Akasa Air)


Booking (Mobile app)

The airline's mobile app/website interface is simple and I managed to get my booking done without issue. 

The fare comparison between the Saver and Flexi fare. I chose the flexi for my flight. 


A good variety of snacks and beverages are available. If you book the flexi fare type, it includes a meal/snack and beverage. 


I wanted to pay for the lounge access and also upgrade myself to the Economy Plus seat on (ex-Jet Airwayys configured aircraft) but I kept getting error on the website and I seeked help with the airline's representative on Twitter (X) but to no avail. I wonder how did I manage to book with the airline in the first place. Eventually, I gave up on the lounge and the aircraft turned up was a 189-seater, all Y class cabin as I noticed the day before, the aircraft was changed from VT-YAT to VT-YAK according to Flightradar24. 



Originally I was booked on this flight QP1110.



However, just a few weeks before my flight, I received notification from Flighty that my flight was cancelled and I notified the airline about it (via social media, Twitter (X)) and what would they going to do about it. However the staff insisted that my flight was not cancelled and would update me if that happens. 

Few days later, I received an email about my flight cancellation and they moved me to the evening flight. I did a bit of digging and I realised they cancelled the afternoon flight (my flight) and continue to operate the morning and late evening flights (3 flights departing late at night). I was thinking, wouldn't it make more sense to cancel one of the evening flights and retain the afternoon flights so that it would be evenly spread in terms of flight timing. Only the flight operation knows better. 

At this point, I felt since this is the airline's issue, it would have been great to receive some sort of gesture of good will or something to make up for the incovenience especially my stay in Bengaluru was cut short. A meal voucher or something reasonable would have soften the blow. 



Check in was completed, all I need to do is turn up at the airport and obtain the boarding pass for my collection. 


On the day of departure 

I had a comfortable stay at Aurika, Mumbai Skycity - Luxury by Lemon Tree. Hotel review coming up soon. 


This is the moto taxi which offers cheaper fare. 


This is Mumbai Airport Terminal 1. The airlines that operate from this airport are Indigo, Spicejet, Alliance Air and Akasa Air. 


The alighting spot for both private vehicles. 


Airport Traffic Control Tower 


It took me about 5 minutes to walk to the entrance leading to my airline's check-in counters. 


There is where you catch a shuttle bus to terminal 2. 


 As usual, I had to show the security guard my flight itinerary and passport before being allowed into the terminal.


Look at how long the queue is! It took me about 15 minutes before my turn.


Once inside, I went to check in. As I was still early, I had plenty of time to hang out at the airport. Originally I was on the 3 pm flight, so because my flight was cancelled and I was moved to the evening flight, I had hours to spare. No lounge access since I wasn't able to make the payment (for whatever reasons). The lounge access would have cost me S$40 which might be quite steep for a couple of hours so that might be a good thing too. 


There were a lot of vacant check-in desks so I didn't have to wait long to complete my check-in process. 



As I already have a backpack with me, I had to check in my cabin baggage. 


The view of the terminal 1 land side. 


The ground staff was polite and friendly. Within minutes, I received my boarding pass. 


Once that was done, I made my way to the departure hall (Up the escalator). 



Goodbye Mumbai, until next time! 


An overview of the departure hall, land side of Terminal 1 Mumbai Airport. 


I was off to the security check.


Once done, I entered the airside of the airport. 


There are a good number of shops and eateries at the airside. 


Credit card holders can access this lounge. 


This side of the terminal offers view of the tarmac and if you go up to the food court, you are able to do some photography over there. 




As I was hungry, I made my way to the food court on the next level. 



There are lots of seats in the gate area but because it was crowded at that time, I had a hard time finding one. 




This is the floor above the departure hall (airside). 


At this spot, you are able to do some planespotting. 


I ordered a plate of Chicken Briyani and it was alright. 


Looking at the airport stats, disruption index is at the highest so that means one thing, I can expect delay to my flight. 


Akasa Air's Boeing 737 MAX 8 being pushed back. 


Vistara Airbus A320neo just arrived. 


Indigo Airbus A321neo


Overview of the departure hall (airside). 


There is another lounge but it looked abandoned.


I did a check on my flight status, no sign of delay. 


Gate 29-31 are bus gates and I would be departing from one of those gates. 


There is also a Relax & Co massage chair which of course one has to pay in order to use it. 


These are where gate 29-31 are located, they are on the ground level which require passengers to board the bus that will take them to the aircraft. 



There is a little cafe near my boarding gate. 


This is where my bus gate is. 


You need to register your cell number in order to obtain the code to use the airport wifi. 


I did a check on the traffic while waiting for boarding. 


The waiting room got crowded. 


Finally it was time to board the bus. 


There it is, my ride VT-YAK! 



The CFM Leap-1B engine does look huge on this 737. 


Welcome on board! 


My ride: VT-YAK (Photo: Aneesh Bapaye) 


Boeing 737-8 MAX (Leased from Avolon)
- Jet Airwys (NTU) - GECAS
- GOL (NTU) - AerCap 
Delivered to airline in December 2022 
Configuration: Y189 
Engines: 2 X CFM Leap-1B 
Line number: 7566 
Built in Renton (RTN) 
Age: 5 Years Old (July 2024)


Flight route: BOM-BLR 

Miles: 517 

After my flight, this aircraft I flew on, was out of service for 8 days. 


My seat 6A changed to 1F. (Photo: seatmap.com) 

Akasa Air for now (July 2024) has 4 different types of configuration for the 737 MAX 8 fleet, so if you booked yourself on a Economy A++ seat, only the ex-Jet Airways aircraft that the airline inducted into the fleet would have these seats and of course the airline can change your aircraft to another with a different configuration, so be prepared for that. I suppose this could be possibly one of the reasons why I couldn't pay for the better seat (Jet Airways's business class seat) as my aircraft was changed to the 189-seater 737 MAX 8. 

The plan is for the airline to standardise the fleet by re-configuring those 737 MAX 8 originally supposed to be operated by other airlines to the standard one-class 189 Y class cabin. VT-YAK was originally destined for Jet Airways and I believe this aircraft is one of those that have been re-configured not too long ago. 

For the A++ seat review

You can check out Akasa Air's A++ trip report (LivefromaLounge) over here.



Date of Departure: 14th July 2024
Airline: Akasa Air 
Flight: QP1376
Route: BOM-BLR 
Aircraft: Boeing 737 MAX 8 
Registration: VT-YAK 
Seat: 6A then changed to 1F
Departure Terminal: 1 
Gate: 31 (Bus Gate)
Load: 95%
Flight Time: 1 hr 25 minutes 
Actual Flight Time: 1 hr 27 minutes
Schedule Departure: 1915 
Boarding: 1917 
Pushed Back: 1955
Take Off: 2027 
Schedule Arrival: 2100 
Actual Arrival: 2154 
Departure Runway: 27 
Departure Weather: Cloudy
Arrival Runway: 27L
Arrival Weather: Partially Cloudy

My Flight Experience 

When I saw the cabin crew and pilots turning up at our assigned gate about 15 minutes before our scheduled departure time, I knew we were late. Why? I can only speculate. My aircraft, VT-YAK had a long layover at this airport as the previous flight took place the day before so therefore a set of crew was needed to be transported to the aircraft. I think this set of crew arrived late from another flight therefore boarded the aircraft later then they should and also both the cabin and flight crew needed time to prepare the aircraft for departure and this also added more time and therefore boarding time took place later, still it would have been nice to be updated. 

Once on board, this family of 3 with an infant were assigned different seats and the husband was making a bit of noise. Initially a woman sitting at the aisle seat was willing to change her seat with the wife (sitting a row behind me - middle seat) then after that the cabin crew came to assist and informed them that there was a vacant seat at the first row (no idea which seat it was). I volunteered to move and once that was decided, everyone was happy. It was risk because I had no idea whether the first row seat was a window seat or not but never mind, let's settle this and be on our way. Besides this window seat would be more comfortable for the lady and the infant. After getting up from my seat, I followed the cabin crew who led me to my new assigned seat and to my relief it was a window seat.

The legroom space was slightly better but the seat width was narrow, as always on the Boeing 737 series. Fortunately the old woman sitting besides was small built so it wasn't too bad, the only thing is something she places her barefoot on top of the literature holder as her leg support and that is just wrong. 

Anyway, we pushed back late but the flight crew apologised for the delay and would try their best to make up for loss time. The Captain even gave us a sports update, I was surprised. 

Once we were in the air, there was bits of bumps but nothing bad and soon the in-flight service started. Fortunately for me, the crew were aware of my seat change and gave me my pre-ordered meal. However I decided to keep it till the hotel to enjoy as I didn't want to make a mess out of it (snack with gravy sauce) as the space was quite limited and I didn't want to spill or splash any gravy onto the neighbour in case if there is sudden turbulence. 

As there was no form of entertainment system on Akasa's aircraft like Indigo, I had to rely on my netflix to enjoy the rest of the flight. We landed about 40 minutes late and that goes my day trip in Bengaluru and since I arrived this late, I would just settle in to the hotel and visit this city another time. My flight on the next day was departing in the morning so I didn't have time to go anywhere far in the morning. 

Welcome on board Akasa Air! 

This is a 189-seater 737 MAX 8 in full Economy class cabin. Each seat has a seat width of 17 inches and most seats have a seat pitch of 29-30 inches and can recline up to 2 inches. There are some rows of seat with better legroom space, they are row 1, 15 and 16. USB-A charging ports are available for each passenger. 

 The Boeing Sky Interior does make the aircraft look roomier. 


These seats look comfortable. 



There is no IFE system installed on this aircraft but there is a device holder for you to place your device so that you can watch your show/movies without holding it. 



What do you think of these seats? 


I like the purple seats as it brightens the cabin. 




View from row 6 (A,B,C)


USB charging port type A is available for each passenger. 



View from row 5 (D,E,F)


Later on during the flight, I moved to seat 1K which offers better legroom space and 2 windows. 


More photos of the seat 

(View from seat 6A) 


Legroom space was bearable for this short flight. 


The view of the front seat. 


Legroom space is standard for low cost carriers. 


The mood lighting is certainly a highlight of Boeing Sky Interior. 


My cell phone was able to fit in the device holder. 


The foldable tray table. 


From seat 1F 

Legroom space was better and it was nice to be able to stretch a bit. 


The recline button and the foldable tray table in storage for emergency and bulkhead rows. 


The bulkhead wall partition. 


The foldable tray table in full extension. 


The foldable tray table in partial extension


I enjoyed my entertainment with a bottle of water. 


The view of the seat beside mine.


It was nice to have some extra legroom space. 


At that point of time, it was raining quite a fair bit during our taxi. 


This is the A+ seat, which normally one has to pay more during the time of booking. I am lucky! 


A few more photos of the bulkhead row. 


As you can see how much legroom space each passenger gets when sitting at this row. 


Goodbye Seat 1K! I highly recommand sitting in this row, either 1A or 1K for this configuration. 


Seat 2A/K offers better window view due to the placement of the window and seat. 


One last look at my seat! 


Overall I find the seats to be comfortable, just a bit squeezy due to the narrower cabin width which results to smaller seat width (Economy class seats) compared to the A320 family. 

What's provided for each passenger? 

In-flight magazine 


Safety card 


Disposal Bag 


What's available for on board? 


A good variety of snack and beverages. 


I recommend you to pre-book them so that you don't have to worry about whether the items you want is available on board. 



In-Flight Snack 

I ordered the Bhel Puri (Jain Special), Pudina flavoured bhel puri. This is one of India's savoury snack which is made up of puffed rice, crumbled crunchy puri, onions, cilantro and is mixed with chutneys, green spicy cilantro chutney and a brown tangy tamarind chutney. It was mixed with Pudina sauce (Spearmint) which is supposed to be good for digestion and helps in weight management. 


A bottle of water 


I enjoyed this snack at the hotel later that evening. 


Window view photos 

Window view from seat 6A. The sky was getting dark. 


Window view from seat 1K and you can see how dark it was at that time. 


The view of Mumbai Airport after departure. 



Goodbye Mumbai! One thing I won't miss is the dreadful weather. 


This is the coast of Mumbai, we turned towards the south-east direction. 


We were on final approach into Bengaluru Airport. 


Here we are! I have seen lots of nice photos of terminal 2 of this airport, I can't wait to check that out. 


Once again, it was raining. 


Here we are, we were parked at the terminal which means one thing, we would be disembarking by the aerobridge connected to the terminal, convenient especially in rainy weather. 


My flight summary 



Welcome to Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru Terminal 1!


The walk towards the luggage carousel took about 10 minutes. 



Beautiful, isn't it? 



This is the it! I didn't wait long for my luggage before making my way out of the terminal. 



This is the arrival hall. I took a few more photos as I won't be returning to this terminal the following day for my Air India Express flight that is operating from terminal 2. 


This is outside the terminal and it was quite cooling at that time. 


I have to say that the outside does looks nice. 


This is where I have to go to catch my Uber at the waiting area. 


This is the departure hall. 


The Terminal 1 of BLR Airport looks quite nice from the outside.



This is where I got my ride. The ride took about 10 minutes to reach my accommodation. 


Hope you enjoyed this trip report! 

My ratings 

Airline Mobile App/Website (User-friendliness) 2/5 
Airport Experience (Mumbai Terminal 1): 3/5 
In-Flight Service: 3/5 
In-Flight Entertainment: 0/5 
Seat Comfort: 4/5 
Cabin Ambiance: 5/5 
Seat Condition: 5/5 
Punctuality: 0/5 (for the flight cancellation) 
In-Flight Snack: 3/5 
Cabin Cleanliness: 5/5 
Overall Rating: 30/50
Percentage: 60%

Conclusion 

It wasn't a good first impression of this airline with the change of flight schedule and the late departure (I can't fault the airline for this due to the bad weather and heavy traffic at Mumbai) However, this is part and parcel of flying. Could the airline handle better? Definitely. Changing of schedule due to flight cancellation is down to the airline to fix things right. Like mentioned in my earlier part of the review, the airline should have done more instead of changing the flight and that's it. Doing a bit more for the passenger would certainly makes the traveller feel valued and and in some ways help to compensate in a small way for the disappointment of not able to travel to the destination on time. Many of us travel for different reasons and some could be in a hurry to get there. Luckily for me, my timing was flexible but that is at a cost to me, which is half a day gone at Bengaluru. 

About the change of seat, I was glad that I did it because I got a window front row seat and that was more comfortable and I helped the family sit together so it was a win-win situation for all parties. Sometimes this happens when the family wanted to sit together but somehow either they didn't pay for the seat assignment or they did pay for the seat assignment but somehow the system screwed up somewhere. Whatever it is, I was glad to be able to experience both the standard and bulkhead seat. 

Overall the flight was pleasant, I enjoyed my front row seat but unfortunately my seat mate wasn't the most hygienic person in the aircraft as sometimes she placed her bare feet on the wall partition. Where is the manners? Good thing is I have my phone downloaded with Netflix movies to keep myself occupied. 

Will I fly with Akasa Air again? Yes and hopefully my next experience with this airline would be better. 

For my previous trip report (Indigo Airbus A321neo Part 1 (DEL-BOM), click here

For my next trip report (Air India Express Boeing 737 MAX 8 from Bengaluru to Hyderabad), click here.

Have a good one! 
Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment