I am pleased to introduce a new parter: Airmodels.net

728x90 - Popular Military Aircraft

Wednesday 17 July 2024

My First Singapore Airlines Business Class Experience From Singapore To Mumbai!

 Welcome to my first trip report to India with Singapore Airlines! 


Introduction 

I have always wanted to fly with Singapore Airlines Business Class for a while and looking at the prices and routes, I thought flying to India was not a bad idea. Not only I would be able to earn some much needed miles, also get to enjoy the business class on a 4 and a half to 5 hours flight. I always heard about how good the service is and consider choosing one of the meals from the Book the Cook menu so my mind was made up, I decided to do it this period. Initially I wanted to book on SQ's Boeing 787-10 flight from Singapore to Delhi, the 2 am departure and reach Delhi about 5 am (local time), that would mean I have to wait for many hours in order to check in at the hotel later that day, not really ideal. I could choose the other flight to Delhi (A380) but I didn't fancy that timing.  Later on, I realized instead of doing a round trip of Air India's A350 flight from Delhi to Mumbai and return, why not I fly to Mumbai instead and fly Air India's A350 later that day to Delhi so that means I can kill 2 birds with one stone. So with that all set, I booked SQ's A350 flight (Morning flight) to Mumbai and then spend a few hours at the Adani Lounge before connecting to the next flight. In addition, this would be my first time flying on SQ's regional configured A350. On the return flight, I decided to book with Vistara to fly with them before the name disappears, that's why I am only doing one-way with Singapore Airlines. For Vistara, I will be flying with them from Channai to Singapore with a stop-over at New Delhi. This allows me to sample both domestic and international Business Class experience, so stay tuned for that. Meanwhile, without further ado, let's start off with the trip report!

Booking with the airline 

This is how much I paid for the air ticket. For the Economy Class, it was about 1/3 of this price but for the sake for trying out SQ's premium class, I think its money worth spent. 


The difference in price between the Business Standard and Lite. (Below)


What I appreciate about purchasing the lowest tier of the business class ticket is you receive complimentary seat selection and lounge access. 

For Business Class Lite passengers, you are not allowed to cancel your ticket but allow to change the dates at a higher cost and if you don't show up for your flight on time, you have to pay a higher fees than those purchased the higher tier business class fare. 


In addition, you are also allow to use the Book The Cook menu to pre-book your meal on board your flight. This applies to Premium Economy, Business and First Class on all routes flying out of Singapore and selected flights out of the airline's destination. 


I decided on seat 17A as I prefer to sit beside the window and also would be my first time flying on the A350 in the front cabin. 


For the in-flight meal, I had a choice to choose between the in-flight meal or the popular, Book The Cook option. 

What is Book The Cook? 

'Book the Cook' was created by the management of SIA to create an enjoyable and unforgettable dining in the skies, based on popular food created and inspired by the airline's team of international culinary panel. This restaurant standard meals are available for Premium Economy Class and above and are available on flights above 1.5 hours. 

This option is available for all flights out of Singapore and selected flights from other destinations returning to Singapore. Do remember to your place your reservation before the deadline of 24 hours before the flight of departure as it would give the kitchen crew some time to prepare your food before being delivered to the aircraft. The cabin crew on board will prepare your food before serving it to you. 

You can find the menu when you manage your booking thru the website or the mobile app. 


You can pre-book your meal online or select your meal on board. 

For my flight, these meals were the options. You can also select one of these meals with the cabin crew before departure. Usually they will bring on board a number of each meals and if that option runs out, you have to choose the one of the remaining choices. So I recommend you to pre-book your meal to avoid disappointment. 


Book the Cook option

Some of the popular dishes are available. 



These are the different types of cuisines available. (Below)


I decided on the Lobster Thermidor option. Initially, I wanted the satay option, that would have been my 2nd choice if this was not availalble.



Auto Web check-in 

The airline will do the auto check-in but I don't see the point for my case as I still need to see the check-in agent to verify my Indian visa.


Although I had my check-in done, I wasn't able to obtain the mobile boarding pass. 


Check in time! 

My flight took place on Tuesday morning but I decided to do an early check-in the day before. I went to the airport around noon time to check in my luggage and also to obtain my boarding pass so that I could return to the airport at night and head for the lounge to relax for the night.

It was quite a busy period when I arrived at Terminal 3. 


The beautiful interior of Terminal 3 is certainly one of my favourites. 


Business and First Class/Suite travellers can head over to Row 6 for check-in. 


One of the rows of check-in counters in Terminal 3.


I like airport terminals with lots of glass windows which allow natural light to shine in and brighten up the interior of the terminal during the daytime. 


This is where the check-in counters for both the premium classes. It's a pity there is no personal service for First Class Passengers. 


When I saw the queue with a family, I thought I have have to wait for a while fortunately the staff at the First Class desk waved me over and my check-in procedure was completed within minutes. For the reason why I had to do the desk check-in is because I needed to verify my approved visa for India. 

For those wondering why does the airline have to do that? Well its because if the passenger turns up at the immigration in India without a valid reason, the operating airline will be fined and have to send the passenger back to the origin of departure at its own cost. 


Here it is, my first Singapore Airlines Business Class boarding pass. I will keep this as a momento, that's for sure. 


After I was done, I made my way to work. 


 I returned to the airport at night to stay overnight at the Silverkris lounge at terminal 3 and went over to the SKL lounge at terminal 2 the following morning to check it out.

For my SilverKris Lounge Terminal 3 Review, click here.
For my SilverKris Lounge Terminal 2 Review, click here.

After the visit at the lounges, it was time to made my way to the gate. 


As my flight was departing at gate C1, it was closer to Terminal 1 than Terminal 3, so I took the skytrain over to Terminal 1. 


Welcome to Terminal 1! 


After a few minutes of walk, I reached the gate. 


This was my first time departing on a SQ flight in Charlie Gate. 


The gate besides C1 is B10 is considered a Terminal 3 gate. 


Look at how crowded the waiting room is! 


My ride: 9V-SHA 


Delivered to airline in December 2018 
Engines: 2 X Roll Royce XWB-84
Seat: J40 Y263 
Age: 5+ Years old (July 2024) 
254th Airbus A350 built 
Built in Toulouse (TLS)



My flight route: SIN- BOM 

Miles: 2,435 


My seat: 17A (Photo: Aerolopa.com) 


Date of departure: 9th June 2024
Airline: Singapore Airlines 
Aircraft: Airbus A350-941 in Regional Configuration 
Registration: 9V-SHA 
Flight: SQ422 
Route: SIN-BOM
Departure Terminal: 1 
Gate: C1 
Load in J Class: 90%
Schedule Departure: 0745 
Boarding: 0717 
Push back: 0752 
Take Off: 0807
Flight Time: 4 hours 30 mins 
Actual Flight Time: 5 hours 2 minutes 
Schedule Arrival: 1030 
Actual Arrival: 1036
Departure runway: 20C
Departure Weather: Cloudy 
Arrival Runway: 27
Arrival Weather: Cloudy 

My in-flight experience 

I was happy to be able to be one of the first to board the aircraft, entering the aircraft from the first door. I was greeted by the cabin crew in which one of them led me to my seat, that's nice. Once settled, I was approached by a couple of crew who introduced themselves and gave me some information of the flight and to call them if I need anything. I heard a lot about the cute teddy bear and even my niece has asked whether I could get one for her. However, it was not meant to be, perhaps, Singapore Airlines can stock up more of these cuties on the regional flights along with the international ones? 

There is this particular crew who was probably inexperienced came and asked me for my order and I had to repeat to her a couple of times that I ordered the Lobster Thermidor from the BTC (Book The Cook) and also ordered the Singapore Sling as my beverage, which ended up I didn't receive. I could have requested for it later on during the flight, but somehow I forgot about it until I realised my missing drink during the conversation with the in-flight supervisor. Until next time, Singapore Sling! 

The flight itself was mostly smooth with a few bumps along the way. With the SQ's new policy of everyone buckling up when the seat belt sign is turned on, it happened a few times but fortunately, it didn't distrupt the meal service. For the meal service, I enjoyed both the appetizer and the lobster. Initially I went for the satay but because I read some comments about the improvement in the lobster on the Krisflyer Facebook page, I decided to go for it and besides satay I can get it anytime back home, lobsters on the other hand would be quite pricy at any of the local seafood restaurants. 

For the rest of the flight, it was uneventful. The cabin crew came around and asked if everything was ok and I had a good conversation with the service leader about aviation related and I learned a few things about crew scheduling. Overall I did enjoy my flight though I experienced better J class with other airlines. 

Anyway, the flight ended up longer than announced due to the heavy traffic at Mumbai, we were put on holding pattern for a while and landed about 30 minutes after, not a bad thing for me as I can enjoy more of the business class experience. 

My view on the Business Class product 

While I find the seat to be comfortable and was able to stretch my legs in the footwell, I felt the lack of privacy as I was able to notice the movement of my neighbour sitting across the aisle whenever I am sitting upright. Furthermore after I pulled out the tray table, I noticed I was not able to get out of my seat. With the hand rest activated (you can pushed them downwards for more space to sleep, my right elbow knocked into the buttons (remote control) and affected my IFE program a few times. Apart from these issues, I had no problem with the seat. I like how the arrangement of the location of the amenties such as water bottle, headphone and meal card are placed, you can find them in a little closet (shown in the photos below). As it was a dayflight, I didn't catch any sleep but managed to recline the seat to about 160 degrees and enjoyed my movies (Aquaman 2 and Ghostbusters) for the rest of the flight after the meal service. Overall, I am contented with the product, it gives me the additional comfort I need so that reaching my destination, I felt more refreshed and was ready to enjoy the lounge at Mumbai to get ready for my next flight. 

For my Economy Class experience, you can check out my recent trip report on Singapore Airlines' A350-900 (3-class configuration) over here

About this airline's business class product on this A350-900 (Regional configured A350) - 9V-SHA to 9V-SHY registration 

There are 40 Business Class seats in this cabin, featuring the Stelia Aerospace Symphony seats that are configured in a 1-2-1 seating configuration. These 40 seats are spread into 2 cabins, the front cabin and the 2nd cabin (in front of the 2nd door). Each seat has direct access to the aisle and for row 11,14,16,18 and 21 (A and K), these seats are positioned close to the aisle while the other rows, 12,15,17 and 20 (A and K), the seats are closer to the window. 

For the middle seats, row 11,14,16,18,19 and 21, the seats are closed to one another (Honeymoon seats) (away from the aisle) while for the other seats, row 12,15,17 and 20, the seats are away from each other and they are positioned close to the aisle. 

These seats have a seat width of 20 inches which can be converted into a 6 foot 4 in length lie flatbed. There is a pneumatics divider plane which offers privacy and also have footwell space to rest your legs and the space below the footwell can be used to store your backpack. These seats also come with 2 USB-A and Universal socket, and storage space beside to store smaller items such as phones, passport (not recommended) and probably charging wires. 

In front of each business class passengers features a 18 inch HD touchscreen display and that comes with a control console you can use as a remote to control the contents on the IFE system. 

Check out the photos below for more details on the product. 

Photos of the Business Class cabin 

Which seat do you prefer? The seat closer to the aisle or to the window?


The "honeymoon" seats. Problem is both of you need to bend forward in order to see each other.


The Singapore girls in their beautiful uniform doing a last minute check on the cabin.


The view from my seat.


Which configuration for the middle couple seats do you prefer? (Below)


There is a mini section of business class in the second cabin.


This is my seat, 17A 

It comes with a pillow and blanket. 


This is the last row of the first cabin, this seat is closer to the aisle. 


More seats in this cabin were being filled up. 


Another view of the last row of this section. 



The view from my seat


What more can I ask for? IFE system and the window. SQ's business class window shades are the conventional ones. 


For the middle seats positioned close to the aisle, you can pull up this divider to increase privacy between yourself and the seat mate. 



Everyone was seated and we were ready to go. 


Watching the safety video while the engines were being started. 


Cabin view photographed during the flight. 


This is the mini cabin just behind the 2nd door of the aircraft. 


The lavatories located between the first and second cabin. 


The first cabin of the Business Class. 


More photos of the seat 

The IFE screen showing today's flight details. 


The mini closet, you need it to be closed during take-off and landing. If you are charging your devices, I won't recommend you closing it, due to heat dissipation. 


The touchscreen remote control. 

 
There is space to place your small belongings or beverages on it. 


The literature holder includes the in-flight magazine and safety card.


I was able to stretch my leg across the footwell. 


As mentioned earlier, the door must be opened when devices are being charged.


There is also a mirror near the charging ports, you need to pull it out in order to use it. 


This seat also comes with reading light of 3 different positions, useful when the cabin lights are turned off and window shades are closed.



This is the foldable tray 


When you unfold it, this is the size you get (below).


This is the electronic controlled armrest which can be lifted up with a click of a button and you can pushed it down to get rid of the arm rests. (increasing the bed width length so that you have more space for sleeping or resting). 

Left armrest. 


Right armrest. (Besides the control panel) 


Do take note of this instruction especially if you are a first timer flying on this cabin product. 


The little closet has to be closed during take off and landing. 


The electronic controlled buttons gives you access to adjusting your seat to either the lie-flat or sit-up position, call bell button for the crew to come and attend your needs, the 'Do Not Disturb' sign can be activated if you wish to be left alone and the lamp light (from the overhead panel). 


Enjoying my business class experience! 


I had no issue stretching my legs even with a good amount of footwell space. 


My lie-flat bed experience

As I am 6 foot 4, I couldn't adjust the seat to the complete lie-flat position but I am fine resting at this angle. 


I was able to enjoy my show. 


Lavatory check! 


The lavatory comes with some branded toiletries products. 


The mirror was spotless. 



The little flower is just part of the lavatory decoration. 



Some amenities for the passengers to use in the lavatory. 


Overall I find the lavatory to be clean and well presented. 

IFE System and WiFi 

You can log in to your account to enjoy a more personalised experience when using the IFE System.


A good amount of contents in the Krisworld entertainment system. In addition to this, with a Krisflyer account or a business/first class passenger, you can connect to the world with the aircraft's in-flight wifi. 


This  is a video demonstrating how to use the 3-point Seatbelt. 


Since I missed out this movie Aquaman (Part 2) in the cinema, this was my first choice. 


I managed to log in to the airline's wifi to do some online stuff such as checking on my flight's path. However the wifi's connection wasn't stable from time to time. Once we reached India's airspace, we were notified that in-flight wifi would be deactivated as the Indian authority has not given a green light, hope that change in the near future. 

During the flight, I was able to keep track of my flight's progress. Thanks for Flightradar24. 



The in-flight map 


Enjoying the movie of Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. 


I find this remote control quite easy to use, it's like using a touchscreen mobile device. 


I was also able to check my flight's information on this control console. 


After the Aquaman movie ended, I decided to watch another old favourite of mine, the Ghostbusters. 


At this point, we were not very far from Mumbai airport. 


What's provided for each J class passenger? 

A bottle of water 


A pair of headphone 


This SQ's headphone is pretty good in my opinion, the sound quality is great and more importantly it blocks out the cabin noise. 


In-Flight menu


In-flight magazine 


Instructions how to connect to the in-flight wifi 


Safety Card 


Disposal Bag 


A comfortable pillow 


Blanket - Good quality 


We were given a hot towel during the pre-flight departure. 


Sadly no amenity kit for business class passengers. From what I know, amenity kit will only be given on a first come first serve basis for flights longer than 6 hours. What do you think? Personally I think all J class passengers (for flight longer than 2 hours) should have an option whether they like to receive an amenity kit and perhaps the cabin crew can come around and distribute, those who don't want it, can always decline. 

Food & Beverages 

I had a choice of orange juice, water and tomato juice. I chose the latter. 


All set up for breakfast!


Let's check out the menu. Of course you can order special meals or order the meal from the 'book the cook' from the airline's website/mobile app.  


The appetizer 

All passengers get a plate of fruit and then choose between a flavoured yogurt or a bowl of Museli. For beverage, I picked apple juice to start off the breakfast. 


The Bircher Museli 


The cabin crew also came to offer us a choice of bread, I chose the apple croissant. He did offer me to take more but I declined.


For the main, I chose the Lobster Thermidor with Fondant Potato - a French dish from the 'Book The Cook' menu. 

It was alright, nothing spectacular about it. 


After which, the meal service was over. I could have enjoyed my Singapore Sling drink after that but it was not meant to be. I was offered some tea or coffee but I declined, instead I decided to recline my seat and rest until the announcement for the cabin to be prepared for arrival. 

Window view photos 

Once the engines were started, we taxied to the main taxiway. Notice a dirt on the window? 



Off we go, it was nice to be sitting in front of the engines for a change. 






The view of the ships heading in different directions. 




Goodbye Changi Airport! Coming back in 10 days time. 



We passed through some clouds, just a few bumps here and there. 


Once we were cleared of the clouds, it was smooth for most parts of it. 


This is the point when we started descending into Mumbai. 




We could have arrive early but due to the heavy traffic at Mumbai, our arrival was delayed for almost half an hour. 


Finally we were given the clearance to land. 



Hello Mumbai, India! Not a good time to come as it was raining most of the time. 




After 5 hours and 2 minutes in the air, we touched down about 10.39, just 9 minutes past the schedule arrival time. 


My first sight of Akasa Air's 737 MAX 8. 


I will be returning to Singapore from Delhi on Vistara's A321neo, stay tuned for the trip report. 


It seems there is no way back for Go First, their A320 fleet have been grounded for quite a while. 


Ethiopian and Air Vistara's Boeing 787-9 aircraft parking beside each other. 


In a year or so, we will see this Vistara's 787-9 in Air India's new livery. 


We parked besides this Vistara 787 Dreamliner, VT-TSQ. 


My flight summary 



Welcome to Mumbai, India! 


Goodbye, 9V-SHA! Thanks for the ride. As for the cabin/flight crew, they get to stay over for one night before returning back to Singapore the following day. 


The walk to the immigration took about 15 minutes. 




That's all for this trip report! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I do. 

My ratings 

Airline Mobile App/Website (user-friendliness): 4/5 
Airport Experience (SIN Terminal 3): 5/5 
In-Flight Service: 3.5/5 
In-Flight Entertainment System: 4/5 
Seat Comfort: 4/5 
Cabin Ambiance: 5/5 
Seat Condition: 4/5 
Punctuality: 4.5/5
In-Flight Meal (Business Class Standard): 4/5 
Cabin Cleanliness: 5/5 
Overall rating: 43/50
Percentage: 86%

My thoughts 

While the service wasn't what I expected, overall I was satisfied with my experience. Sometimes this happens especially for the newly inexperienced crew, so I won't be too critical of the service. I have highlighted this to the service supervisor and I am sure mistakes are learnt. On the bright side, from the lounge to the end of the flight, I enjoyed every moment of it, the food, beverages and the entertainment system have definitely make it worth while spending more for the premium class experience. While the J Class product may not be the latest or the best out there, I think it's fair to say that the product is adequate enough for regional routes. What I like best is the entertainment system offering lots of choices and the ability to be able to stretch out my legs and enjoy the movie without being disturbed or get distracted. Will I do this again? Yes, why not? I would love to try the J class on the A350 long haul configuration (I can see how narrow the footwell space is), the A380 and Boeing 777-300ER. 

Thanks for reading! For my trip report on Air India's A350-900 J Class experience, click here

Have a great one! 
Charles 


No comments:

Post a Comment